Saturday, September 26, 2009

Warren Creek Dredge



Warren, Idaho is a small town located 50 miles outside of the popular vacation destination of McCall. Gold was discovered there in 1862, causing the settlement's population to expand to nearly 2000 people shortly thereafter. After a decline in mining initially, dredge operations were set up in the 1930s, which included this, the Warren Creek Dredge. Dredging was done all around Idaho, leaving large piles of rock around creeks and often negative environmental impacts. You can see some of these dredge piles in one of the sketches from my Moleskine that I posted a while back, here. Warren's current population is between 12 and 16 full-time residents. Many of the historic homes in the town are now used as vacation homes and cabins.

I did this drawing a few years ago on commission for a friend, who has a cabin in Warren (she and her husband own the dredge foreman's former home, I think). She had some old photographs of the dredging operation for me to work from. It was a lot of fun, and I thought I would share it with you here. I am thinking of making an edition of prints of this drawing for sale and I will post more information here when I do. Enjoy!

No comments: